Job Type: 30 hours a week
Salary Range: $52, 000 - $57, 000 annually, depending on experience and qualifications
Start Date: August 21st, 2023
Closing Date: Wednesday, August 15th at midnight
*will accept applications after closing date until position is filled
Who ARTSJUNKTION mb is
ArtsJunktion mb Inc. is a community-based charitable organization committed to redistributing reusable materials. Since ArtsJunktion’s incorporation in 2007, ArtsJunktion mb has grown from a ‘creative reuse’ dream into an organization with 2000 members, a group of loyal materials donors, its own depot space in the heart of Winnipeg’s Exchange District, and art and creative reuse workshops. ArtsJunktion gathers reusable materials from businesses—materials that would otherwise be considered waste—sorts them and makes them available to the public at our depot.
All supplies are available take-what-you-need, pay-what-you-can. We provide art workshops with an emphasis on repurposed materials; and to support artists through promotion of their art and fairly paid employment opportunities. We also work to reduce landfill waste by receiving materials from businesses, organizations and individuals for distribution to the public, and to increase environmental awareness through community engagement and programming. We want to provide a safe and inclusive space for all community members, and to support our neighborhood, city, and province through vibrant, reciprocal partnerships.
Sounds Interesting? We’re Hiring!
ArtsJunktion mb needs a dynamic, visionary leader to fill the position of Executive Director. Our vision is to reclaim materials for creativity and community.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be responsible to support the vision and goals of ArtsJunktion mb and be a strong, effective advocate for the Winnipeg Arts community, and our immediate neighbors in downtown Winnipeg.
The Executive Director will achieve success in this position by developing and maintaining strong working relationships with internal partners, volunteers, donors, government and other community partners. We are seeking an individual who will actively pursue opportunities to expand revenue generation to support existing and new programming, operations and strategic initiatives while building relationships with staff in Winnipeg, rural and remote, volunteers, community, government and business stakeholders.
The Executive Director is responsible for implementing policies established by the Board of Directors, monitoring financial management, and supporting staff of ArtsJunktion.
Board of Directors, ArtsJunktion mb Inc. through the Co-Chairs
Implement board policy and general administration
● Demonstrate leadership in implementing Board policy
● Act as a resource to Board of Directors so that policy decisions are made on an informed basis
● Keep Board informed, on a bi-weekly basis, of significant issues affecting the development and delivery of programs and services
● Ensures compliance to minimum standards in accordance with all government legislation, regulations and guidelines pertinent to the organization’s role as an employer and non-profit agency
● Implement and monitor Board’s Strategic Initiatives
● Attend and participate in meetings
Monitor and oversee financial management of the organization
● Work with Treasurer to develop annual budget
● Strategic/Business Plan development, updating and monitoring
● Identify, prioritize and provide advice and counsel to aid Board in accessing potential fundraising alternatives
● Maintain relationships with funding sources and prepare funding proposals
● Maintain payroll
Manage the staff
● Develop and maintain appropriate job descriptions for all staff
● Recruit, select, orient and train staff
● Support and evaluate staff
● Ensure staff are appropriately compensated and monitor staff benefits
Establish, maintain and advance community relations
● Initiate and develop relationships with a broad range of community sectors including: city communities, all levels of government, other non-profit organizations and business organizations
● Undertake activities within the Community that enhance the visibility of the organization
● Represent the organization on appropriate committees, network and joint projects
● Develop and provide information about the organization’s goals, programs and services
● Minimum 2 years’ demonstrated leadership experience, previous experience in a similar organization would be considered an asset
● Excellent problem-solving skills and leadership qualities
● Strong advocate for sustainability
● Demonstrated awareness of and ability to work within an anti-oppressive framework
● Ability to function independently and as part of a team
● Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills
● Provide a safe and inclusive space for all community members
● Ability to follow direction and confidently make decisions within the parameters of the job
● A sensitivity to the arts and environmental sustainability
● Experience in financial management
● Experience in managing a community-based organization
● General Information Communication and Technology (ICT) literacy
● Experience in initiating, planning, implementing and evaluating programs and services
● Experience in staff management
● Successfully carrying out the prime functions of the job description
Benefits of Working at ArtsJunktion
In addition to joining a caring, compassionate team with a strong advocacy for sustainability, ArtsJunktion is offering many great benefits including:
Paid sick time
Monday to Friday schedule
4 weeks vacation to start
Healthcare spending account
Exceptional learning and developments opportunities
ArtsJunktion recognizes the importance of and values flexibility and adaptability, especially during these challenging times. If this role is of interest to you, but the hours, qualifications, or other details in the attached document don't fully match what you are looking for at this time – please still reach out to discuss possible adaptations. We want great people, and that sometimes means breaking the mold of specific hiring strategies.
Submit Resume To: The Hiring Committee
ArtsJunktion values the experience and knowledge of people who have faced systemic and structural barriers and is committed to diversifying its workforce. We encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of colour; newcomers; people with differing abilities; and those who identify as 2SLGBTQ+ to apply and self-declare in their cover letter.